Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Hammer Horde: Epic Pagan Metal from the Far Off Land of...Ohio? (Artist Spotlight)

Lets be honest when you think of countries where most Pagan/Viking/Folk Metal comes from you think of countries in northern Europe; Sweden, Switzerland, Norway, The Netherlands, Iceland, Finland, etc.  I would think one of the last countries a metal head would expect to find a Pagan metal band is the US, until now. 

I stumbled across Hammer Horde while I was browsing for music on iTunes.  I believe I was on a King of Asgard album and saw the little section that showed other albums people bought after they bought the KoA CD.  One of the bands I clicked on was Hammer Horde's Under the Mighty Oath.  I don't remember which song I clicked on first, but I do remember liking what I heard and I decided to do some more research.  I was expecting to discover that this band, like so many other bands in its genre, originated from some where in northern Europe, to my amazement, and excitement I found out that they were from Dayton, Ohio.

I say I was excited because I have always wanted either to start or find a Pagan/Viking/Folk (I gotta find an acronym for that) metal band that came from the US.  I figured the US has a plethora of other metal genres that it was only a matter of time before a band like this surfaced, and now that I think about it the winters in Ohio probably are similar to those you would find in Northern Europe because it would be really weird if a band like this was from Florida.   

Hammer Horde started back in 2007 and released their first album Under the Mighty Oath in 2009.  There sound is very similar to that of Ensiferum and Wintersun, minus the orchestral keyboards.  Thrown over that is a combination of chant choruses and an alternating use of clean and black metal style vocals.  As evident in their song "In the Name of Winter's Wrath".  When I first saw the video for it, I could have told you that Abbath from Immortal was singing on it.  Not that there is anything wrong with that (there isn't), its really cool to hear black metal style vocals over a pagan metal background, because its just something I have not heard a lot in this genre of music.  The rest of the song alternates between the black metal vocals and clean vocals accompanied by choral shouts that you would expect to hear in music of this genre.
Here is the video for "In the Name of Winter's Wrath" 

And no pagan metal band would be complete without a rousing drinking and fun time song.  Give a listen to "Midgardian Revelry".  Fill up your cup with mead, grab some buddies, and enjoy! 
Here is the video "Midgardian Revelry"

Overall Hammer Horde is a Pagan force to be reckoned with.  There sound and technical ability rivals that of any band from Northern Europe.  If you're fans of Ensiferum and Wintersun and bands like that then you need to give Hammer Horde a listen.  You can pick up their new album Vinlander on iTunes.  I highly recommend it for any Pagan metal fan.  
I would like to see Hammer Horde start a movement of US pagan metal bands.  With Hammer Horde as their leaders the world will have to brace themselves for what the US can put out. 

Thanks guys!
-Zach

Remember guys if you have any bands you want me to talk about or any albums you want to me to review leave a comment or tweet me @zachktheanimal. 


   

No comments:

Post a Comment