Monday, November 12, 2012

Abiotic: Bringing the heavy from South Beach (Artist Spotlight)

Hey guys! For today's artist spotlight will feature the death metal/deathcore band, Abiotic from Miami, Florida.  Now when you think of Miami, the first thing that probably pops into your head are beaches and gorgeous women walking around said beaches in bikinis and not brutal, thrashing metal.  Abiotic has emerged from the sun and sand to take on the metal world bringing with them an intense and just plain brutal sound.
I first heard this band on Summer Slaughter 2012 when the tour hit Ft. Lauderdale.  I had never heard of these guys before but they put on one kick ass live show.  They were full of energy and possessed the ability to play their extremely technical music with accuracy while they were headbanging like the madmen they are.  Even though this was my first time hearing them, I was very happy when they announced that they had been signed by Metal Blade Records, one of my favorite metal labels, and were going to release an album later in the year.  I couldn't wait for the album to come out though so the day after the show I bought their EP A Universal Plague from iTunes to fulfill my Abiotic fix until the album came out. 
The band is a quintet featuring:
Ray Jimenez who's vocals reach banshee like highs and gut wrenching lows, almost like he is in a shouting match with the devil and the devil is losing badly. 
John Matos and Matt Mendez who's twin guitar attack produce impressive technical lines as well as room shaking chords. 
Andres Hurtado who's drumming ability would make any drummer consider burning all his sticks and give up the instrument all together. 
Alex Vazquez who wields his bass as if it was a guitar, playing incredibly technical lines that mirror what the guitars are doing.  At some points its almost as if the band has three guitarists instead of two. 
One of my favorite things about this band are there breakdowns.  Abiotic has the ability to produce this wall of sound that just punches you in the gut every time. The best example of this is in their song "Vermosapien" 

At about 1:00 the breakdown starts and you get nailed with this wall of brutal breakdown awesomeness that will make anyone immediately start headbanging.

I would highly recommend this band to anyone who likes good death metal or deathcore.  I know there are some metal elitists out there who won't touch deathcore with a 10 foot pole, but a believe Abiotic is one of those bands who, along with Rings of Saturn, have enough of each genre to appeal to the death metal crowd and the deathcore crowd.  
I am so excited to see a heavy band like Abiotic come out of my home town Miami.  Most of the time when you talk about Florida metal you talk about the death metal bands who came from the more northern part of the state.  Now with Abiotic added in the mix it puts Miami on the map as a city that can produce heavy as fuck bands.  
If you like good, heavy, brutal, thrashing metal then I highly suggesting picking up Abiotic's debut Symbiosis out now on Metal Blade Records, you won't regret it.  
I am excited to see what these guys do in the future because I believe they have the ability to become a major player in the future metal scene. 

Thanks guys! And as always if you have suggestions for albums I should review or artists I should talk about leave a comment or tweet me @zachktheanimal
-Zach

No comments:

Post a Comment