Thursday, April 11, 2013

Four Reviews in One! My reviews of the new Killswitch Engage, Bring Me the Horiozon, Finntroll, and Lost Society!

Hey guys! So I have fallen behind on my reviews so I decided instead of doing four separate reviews I would do four shortened reviews in one! Beginning with the new Killswitch Engage album Disarm the Descent
In my opinion there were two bands that were in need of an album to redeem their last effort, one of the those bands was Killswitch Engage (the other was Bring Me the Horizon, but I'll get to that later).  Personally I did not like their last album, Daylight Dies was pretty good but their self titled release was left me disappointed and wishing that I hadn't bought that album. 

Fast forward a few years to 2013 when Killswitch announced that Howard had left the band and would not be recording on their next album.  Personally I was a bit bummed, I liked Howard and his unique voice and I knew that who ever they got to replace him was going to have big shoes to fill.  When they announced Jesse Leach would replace him I didn't really jump for joy because I got in to Killswitch after Jesse had left, but I thought the first single "In Due Time" was good and decided to check out the album. 

Disarm the Descent is a huge step forward from their last release.  The songs are faster and heavier and they don't loose their intensity when the chorus comes around, something the last album seemed to do on EVERY FUCKING SONG! Jesse aggressive vocals style (more aggressive than Howard's) brings a new edge to the band and gives the band new life (it almost seems like they are a new band).  All in all if you were loosing your faith in Killswitch (like my self) Disarm the Descent will restore your faith in this band. 

Overall Rating: 8.5/10

Next is Bring Me the Horizon- Sempiternal 
 
The other band who needed a redemption album was Bring Me the Horizon.  While one of my friends thought their last album There is a Hell Believe Me I've Seen It, There is a Heaven, Lets Keep It A Secret was album of the year, I hated it.  Looking back I don't know why I bought the album.  While I did think there were some good songs on the album, I thought a majority of the time vocalist Oliver Sykes was whining the whole album and I found it annoying and unbearable and I was very hesitant to buy this album. 

This album was a great surprise.  It sounds huge, the band sounds fuller than they ever have sounded and the songs on the first half of the album are awesome and I enjoyed all of them.  I will say though that after "Shadow Moses" really dropped off, there were some bright spots like "Antivist" and "Crooked Young", but to be honest I could really do without tracks 7-11. 

All in all Sempiternal is a solid release.  There are lots of songs that I have been playing on repeat since I got it, and it definitely restored my faith in this band. 
Overall Rating: 7.5/10

Next is Finntroll- Blodsvept
I can honestly say that this album is the first album I was really excited for in 2013.  I loved Finntroll's last release Nifelvind and was really excited when I heard they were recording a new album.  That excitement grew when I heard the first single Blodsvept on YouTube and I was hoping that this album would live up to all the hype. 

To make a long story short, it did.  Blodsvept is everything a Finntroll fan hears and loves with a new album.  Some of the songs may not be as catchy as they were on Nifelvind (all though it is hard to beat "Solsagan"), but they are just as awesome as their previous songs. 

 All in all, Blodsvept is one of Finntroll's best albums, it will have listeners dancing around the room to their addictive version of folk metal.  With this album Finntroll proves why they are one of the best in the folk metal genre and quickly jumped into my top 5 albums of this year. 
Overall Rating: 9.5/10

Last but certainly not least, Lost Society- Fast Loud Death
The debut from the new Finnish thrashers Lost Society was another album I was looking forward too.  These crazy Finns lured me in with their song "Kill (Those Who Oppose Me)" and from that point on I was counting down the days until they had the pre-orders for this album available in the US. 

The recent wave of thrash revival bands has split into two different sides, those who take thrash and put their own unique spin on it (that would be Skeletonwitch) and bands who are trying to sound like a band from the 80s (that would be Fueled by Fire).  I would like to say before I go on that I like both branches of the thrash revival.  Lost Society walks the fine line between the two branches with great ease.  They have the right combination of an old and new school sound mixed with modern production value. 

This is a killer combination and one that should keep Lost Society in the thrash game for years to come.  Fast Loud Death is an all out thrash attack.  It will lure fans in right from the get go and keep them headbanging until their necks just dangle from a small flap of skin.  Lost Society has emerged as the new leader in the thrash revival game and they look to hold that position for years to come.
Overall Rating: 9.5/10

Thanks guys! Sorry this post was a bit long!
-Zach

Don't forget if there is an album you want me to review or a band you want me to talk about, tweet me @zachktheanimal or leave a comment below.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment