Thursday, April 4, 2013

Review: Corsair- Self Titled

Hey guys! For today's post I am doing another request for my friend named Rick, he recommended I check out this band named Corsair and review their self titled debut album.  So here we go!
I've noticed in the last in the last year or so there is a rise in bands going back in time, in a sense, to the old metal sound of 70s.  These bands are really hit or miss for me.  For some reason I have a hard time latching on to newer bands with this older sound.  The only band I can think of that really caught my ear was Gypsyhawk.  Then my friend Rick said that I should check out Corsair.  He told me they had a sound like Thin Lizzy and although there sound may be a little bit rough that it was nothing to drastic. 

Honestly Rick could not have been more spot on.  The album opens with the instrumental "Agathyrsi" and the first thing that popped into my head was Thin Lizzy.  If you were to close your eyes and forget the name of the band and the song title you would think you were listening to a long lost Thin Lizzy record.  There are also hints of Iron Maiden when the two guitar players start playing the lead lines together.  The combination of Thin Lizzy and Iron Maiden creates a unique sound that although is clearly trying to emulate bands of the past, separates them from the rest of the retro metal pack. 

My favorite song is "Falconer", it is in this song that Corsair is at their best.  The intro guitar melody is catchy as fuck! It will instantly get stuck in your head and it sounds like a early Thin Lizzy recording, that is until the vocals come in.  Although Corsair does not have that low, velvety (don't know if that's the right word) vocals that Phil had in Thin Lizzy, their vocal style fits the bands style like a glove. 

As for the recording quality, could it be better? Possibly, but I think that for the band's sound the recording quality makes the most sense.  It almost sounds like they were really a band from back in the day, instead of a band trying to sound like a band back in the day.  And it is clear.  There are times where the vocals may get a little covered up, but for the most part everything can be clearly heard on each song. 

Overall the debut from Corsair is solid and very promising.  It's only eight songs and costs $8 on iTunes.  If you are looking for a new band with a retro sound, Corsair is your band, and this album is a great first step into what I can only hope is a successful career. 

Overall Rating: 7.5/10 

Thanks guys!
-Zach

Don't forget if you have an album you want me to review or a band you want me to talk about, leave a comment below or tweet me @zachktheanimal.  

No comments:

Post a Comment