Thursday, May 23, 2013

Review: Strychnia- Reanimated Monstrosity

Hey guys! I know it has been a really really long time since I've posted here, I was really busy with school and looking for summer employment (which I happily found) and now I finally have some time to review a new album (that came out over a week ago, but whatever).  Today I will be reviewing the new album from New Jersey thrashers, and front runners for nicest guys in metal, Strychnia entitled Reanimated Monstrosity

For those of you who have not heard of Strychnia, follow these steps: 1. Click here to read my post that I did about them last year.  2. Go like them on facebook and follow them on twitter.  3. Go to their bandcamp page and download their first album The Anatomy of Execution for free.  4. Read this review.  5. Download their new EP Reanimated Monstrosity.  6. Headbang and enjoy.  For those of you who have heard of Strychnia, you can skip all these steps and read on. 

Strychnia is, in my opinion, one of the more unique underground bands to emerge in the last few years.  Their mixture of death and thrash metal is one that sets them apart from all the other bands in the genre.  When I first heard that Strychnia was recording a new album I got really excited.  I loved The Anatomy of Execution it was fast, brutal, unique, catchy, and free to download.  So when I saw the band announce that they were recording a new EP, the little me inside my mind jumped for joy.  I was really excited to see what these guys would throw at its fans for their new album. 

Needless to say when they released the first song "War Sermon", I was not dissapointed.  "War Sermon" continues the aggressive death/thrash combination they had on Anatomy and takes it to the next level.  Just when I thought the bar could not be raised any further, the band released the title track "Reanimated Monstrosity" featuring the vocal talent of John Gallagher from Dying Fetus.  My first reaction when I saw this was "Holy shit! They got John from Dying Fetus? How did they do that?" My second reaction was "Damn he sounds awesome on the track!" Although the vocal styles of Strychnia and Dying Fetus are very different, John's vocal performance on "Reanimated Monstrosity" compliments the song very well and not to mention that the song kicks ass and will send anyone who listens to it into a circle pit frenzy.

After "Reanimated Monstrosity" and "War Sermon" Reanimated Monstrosity thunders through three more tracks "Killdozer"(probably one of my favorite song titles ever), "Cephalectomy", and their cover of the Pantera song "Slaughtered".  I am pleased to say that the rest of the album never lets up.  The band grabs you with the first song and doesn't let go.  If anything the grip tightens as the album progresses.  Each song is just as brutal as the song that came before it and because the album is only five songs long, once the album finishes the band's grip never loosens and you find yourself listening to the album over and over again.

I will admit I was a little nervous when I heard they were covering a Pantera song (a song which you can only get by downloading the album through their bandcamp page).  Pantera was such a unique band for their time and still today no one has replicated the sound that they were able to produce.  So I was a little hesitant the idea of a death/thrash band covering them.  One listen to their cover of "Slaughtered" and any doubt that I had got thrown out the window.  I love that the song starts out with a quote from Phil Anselmo and the song sounds awesome.  I was listening to this album in my car and when this song came on, a huge smile came across my face as I turned the volume up even louder and continued my drive.

Overall I can honestly say I have never heard so much awesome crammed into a single EP since The Devil Wears Prada released Zombie EP (for those of you who own that album, you know what I am talking about).  Reanimated Monstrosity may only be five tracks long, but it packs more of a punch then some full length albums that have been released this year.  The album leaves listeners battered and bruised but wanting more.  And it answers the question "Can an EP be counted in a top 10 list?" with a resounding YES!

Overall Rating: 9.5/10

Thanks guys!
-Zach

Remember, if there is an album you want me to review, or a band you want me to talk about, leave a comment below or tweet me @zachktheanimal.     

No comments:

Post a Comment