Thursday, January 17, 2013

Nightland: Epic Metal From Italy (Bands I Follow On Twitter 3)

Hey guys, for today's blog post I present the third installment of "bands I follow on twitter" with the band Nightland all the way from Italy. 

Nightland first followed me back in like November or December and did not have an EP out yet, but they did have stuff on their youtube channel so I clicked on one of the songs (I believe it was "Knights of the Dark Empire") at sat back waiting for what these Italians had in store for me.  When the song kicked in I was met with screeching keyboards, thundering guitars, and brutal vocals.  A smile was immediately brought to my face, I was hooked on these guys.  To my disappointment though at the time Nightland did not have an EP out, not yet at least.  Around the end of December I got a tweet from them that their EP In Solemn Rise had been released.  I saved the tweet and told my self I would download it later.  Well about two days ago I finally downloaded it and put in on my iPod and today I gave it my first listen and I instantly loved what I heard.
Here is a clip for "Knights of the Dark Empire"

The first track on In Solemn Rise is the title track and it is by far my favorite track.  As much as I love bands that put an intro to a song, I love songs (especially the first song of an album) that just immediately start with the band taring shit up (for lack of a better term).  That is what "In Solemn Rise" does, right away the listener is hit with their unique blend of Children of Bodom like keyboards and power metal influenced guitars.  Then about 30 seconds in the growl vocals come in and you are presented with the unique package that is Nightland. 
Here is the video clip for "In Solemn Rise" 


As the song thunders along, and the listener is head banging and chanting the last line of the chorus (In Solemn Rise!), one can't help but try to put a specific genre on this band.  I for one had trouble with this because they have keyboards like Bodom, guitars like a power metal band, vocals like a death metal band, and group vocals that sound like Ensiferum.  For the life of me I couldn't put a genre on these guys because they aren't quite folk metal, but they aren't quite power metal.  So I consulted the one source that I know I could trust, the band's facebook page.  I was curious to see what style they gave their sound.  The page just simply states that they play "Epic Death Metal".  As I read this, while eating my lunch, I thought that there is no better way to describe Nightland than those three words, "Epic Death Metal".  They take death metal style growls and have put that over a combination of power metal guitars and Bodomesque keyboards.  

I love it when just when I think I've heard everything that there is to be heard in heavy metal (I know there is still so much I have left to discover) a band like Nightland comes along with something unique and original.  They are an Epic Italian blend of bands like Ensiferum, Hammerfall, and Children of Bodom and I would recommend them to fans of those bands and anyone who is looking for something new and something epic. 

Their EP In Solemn Rise is available now on like every music downloading site on the internet (seriously go to their Facebook page they have like 20 sites listed on their cover photo).  I bought mine from iTunes for like $5 and I can safely say some of the best $5 I've ever spent.  In Solemn Rise  is guaranteed to get a new listener hooked on Nightland and leave them sitting, wishing, and waiting for what this epic band will do next. 
(Also the album cover looks sick!)
Thanks guys!
-Zach

PS if you want more check out their video for the song "Diamond Siren" its awesome!

Remember if there is a band you want me to talk about, leave a comment below or tweet me @zachktheanimal.  

No comments:

Post a Comment