Monday, January 28, 2013

Infant Annihilator: A Band With A Sound As Brutal As Their Name

Continuing with posts about my favorite bands with crazy ass names (see my Lightning Swords of Death post), I present to you Infant Annihilator, a tech-deathcore group from the UK. 

I first heard about these guys from a YouTube comment on another music video.  Once commenter was saying that they were getting into melodic deathcore and wanted band suggestions.  Another commenter replied with "Look up Infant Annihilator!" (or something like that), having never heard of the band before I decided to look them up.  The first video I watched from them was their music video for the song "Decapitation Fornication". 

Let me just say that "melodic" is not the most appropriate word to describe Infant Annihilator, sure at first the listener is treated to a crazy fast guitar line, but that only lasts a few seconds before the band launches into a fury of crushing guitars and inhumanly fast blast beats.  And the break downs? They are as crushing as Wildly Coyote getting an ACME anvil dropped on his head (at least that's what I envision in my mind whenever Infant Annihilator decides do drop a break down bomb on the listener).

As for the video, it was the most ridiculous metal video I think I've ever seen.  I found my self laughing at what the band members were doing in the video, but at the same time headbanging along to the music the band was playing.  Now I don't normally like a video as crazy and wild as this one because most of the time it distracts me from the music, and I found my self focusing more on the video than the music.  But with this video I didn't mind it as much because I was enjoying the video.
Still the ridiculous name plus the ridiculous video made me think that these guys weren't taking themselves seriously so I did some more investigation into the band.
Here is the video for "Decapitation Fornication" 

The next place I ventured to was the band's page on totaldeathcore.com where I was able to listen to all the songs on their debut album The Palpable Leprosy of Pollution and then decide if I wanted to buy it or not.  I gave the song "Decapitation Fornication" a second listen as well as songs like "Cuntcrusher" and "I. Infant Annihilator" a first listen.  What I found was, when you don't have the band dry humping themselves in a forest to the beat of the song (you'll understand if you watched the video), what you have is good and insanely technical deathcore.  

Like I said in the Lighting Swords of Death post, when a band makes quality music, then the crazy name is justifiable.  Like with Lightning Swords of Death, Infant Annihilator (even with the crazy music video) makes quality music that sounds just as brutal as there name, and therefore, in my opinion, justifies the name Infant Annihilator.  

To quickly sum up their sound, they sound like Rings of Saturn injected with as many steroids as Lance Armstrong and Barry Bonds took combined (too soon?) its fast and brutal and will leave your neck in agony if you headbang along.  Sure its obvious the drummer is using triggers, but the way I see it, I can't picture the songs with a different drum track than the insanely fast one that is already recorded. 

In short, if you like bands like Rings of Saturn, Thy Art is Murder, Abiotic, or Signal the Firing Squad and are looking for a band with a name and a sound that will scare your parents, grandparents, siblings, church officials, teachers, you name it,  you need to give Infant Annihilator a listen.  You can download their 16 track(!!!) debut from this link:  
I highly recommend downloading it, its only $10 for 16 tracks of gut pounding, neck breaking, deathcore.  You won't be able to find a better deal anywhere else!
Thanks guys!
-Zach

Remember if there is a band you want me to talk about or an album you want me to review, leave a comment below or tweet me @zachktheanimal.
  
 
   

3 comments:

  1. Idk why everyone thinks the drums are either programed or triggered. They just have an insane drummer. I've watched his play throughs on their YouTube channel, with both acoustic and electric drumsets. Aaron mostly used electric drums because the sound is much more organized and cleaner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. look up soil the stillborn

    ReplyDelete