Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Review: Green Day-Tre!

Hey guys! I know its been a while since I last posted.  Its finals week at my school so I've been doing nothing but studying and preparing final projects and I have had no time to blog.  But I will be blogging over my Christmas break (and perhaps a bit before that), I've got a couple of artists I want to talk about as well as my Top 10 albums of the year that will come out after Christmas (I like to get CDs for Christmas so I listen to them that day and then finalize my top 10), so get excited for that.  Without further delay here is my review of Green Day's new album Tre!



Tre! is the third and final installment of Green Day's three album release thing they were doing this year.  Now I did some research, something I should have done before I reviewed Dos!, about this trio of albums.  Billy Joe said that they each portrayed a different mood, Uno! is the power pop album, Dos!  is the garage rock album, and Tre! is supposed to be the epic sounding one.  He also said that the three albums are like a party; Uno!  is when you're getting ready for the party, Dos! is the party, and Tre! is the clean up afterwords.

Knowing all of this I went back and listened to the previous two albums and could see where the connections were being made.  I mean Dos! starts off with "Fuck time" something you could expect from being at a party and not necessarily when you are preparing for it or after the fact.

I feel that Tre! portrays the clean up aspect of the party pretty accurately.  The album starts off with the ballad "Brutal Love" that sounds like the song I would hear waking up from a crazy party to find my house a mess and my head feeling I headbutted a bunch of hammers.  The overall tempo of the album, for the most part, "99 Revolutions" being the exception, is slower than the other two.  This makes sense because fast in your face punk songs is not the first thing I want to be hearing after waking up from a party.  If I ever had the pleasure (or displeasure) to host a wild party, Dos! would be the album I would certainly want playing in the background, and Tre! would be the background music to the clean up.

Tre! also accomplishes the roll of the epic sounding album.  Uno! was said to be Green Day harking back to their early albums like Dookie and NimrodDos! also accomplishes this feet.  But Tre! for the most part has the epic sound that Green Day had on American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown.  I'm not saying its a bad thing, because its not, I like to see that Green Day was able to put some variety into their three albums.  I was worried that all three were going to sound the same, and that is simply not the case.  All the songs on Tre! are bigger and fuller sounding then the songs on Uno! and Dos! and I think that was supposed to be the idea.  If you want good proof about Tre! being like American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown listen to the song "Dirty Rotten Bastards".  Its the longest song on Tre! and I believe the longest song out of the three albums.  It clocks in just over 6 minutes and is very reminiscent of, "Jesus of Suburbia" and "Homecoming" the two 9 minute epics American Idiot had.  Although "Dirty Rotten Bastards" is not nearly as long, it switches moods and tempos about 3 times over the course of the song and could have easily fit on American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown.  

All in all Tre! is a great album.  The trio of albums is a must own for any Green Day fan regardless of what era you like, or if you like them all.  I feel all three albums do a good job of living up to the descriptions that Billy Joe gave them.  Tre! is icing on the cake to an already catalog of great music that one could listen to and never get tired of.

Overall Rating: 8.5/10

Thanks guys!
-Zach

P.S. Tre! was supposed to be released around Tre Cool's birthday who turned 40 this year! Kind of crazy to hear that.  

Remember if there is an album you want me to review or an artist you would like me to talk about leave a comment below, or tweet me @zachktheanimal.     


No comments:

Post a Comment